The Division of Planning is hosting an Open House to discuss the Charrette report and to get feedback from the community on Wednesday, Dec. 14. The open house will take place at the City Hall Annex at 140 W. Patrick Street in Conference Room C from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. to accommodate the Mayor and Board Workshop scheduled to start at City Hall at 7 p.m.
The Charrette report can be viewed here.
What is a Form-Based Code?
Form-Based Code (FBC) is a zoning regulation that guides how developments and buildings relate to the public realm first, and only secondarily to what uses occur inside them. Its purpose is to design a particular type of place or built environment entirely based on the community’s vision and desire.
- Promote high-quality structures, streetscape, urban design public realm within an urban context.
- Encourage all development types for a unified and attractive environment. This Code is intended to provide requirements and guidance, mainly in graphic form, in accordance and to implement the vision of the community.
- Create an identifiable neighborhood/ corridor environment and provide customer experience opportunities for existing and new nonresidential users.
- Support public infrastructure upgrade, extension, and beautification opportunities.
- Build upon established anchor uses and areas.
- Promote differentiated and unique ideas that can provide a sense of place and destination while encouraging new and expanded development in the corridor.
- Continue to support citizen-based initiatives to improve the east side of Frederick and create opportunities for citizen representation in the area.
All residents are encouraged to participate by attending the Open House and providing feedback and comments. Please check the Form-Based Code webpage for more information on the project:
This is the opportunity to provide your feedback and ask questions about the project before the first draft of the Form-Based Code.
The project may change during the review process. Please check with the Division of Planning to confirm the meeting dates. Comments on this plan can be mailed or emailed to the Planning Department and the Planner listed below.
Arash Ghahramani, Urban Designer
The City of Frederick
140 West Patrick Street, Frederick, MD 2170