The City of Frederick is currently conducting a search for the Chief of Police of the Frederick Police Department. To support the search, the City will be engaging the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) to serve as consultants; an external search committee to engage various community stakeholders and work with the IACP in reviewing the first round of applicants; and an internal selection committee to assist the Mayor in conducting a final review of the applicants. This site will be updated as the search process continues.
Search Process - Currently in Phase One
Phase One (September/October)
External Search Committee Public Meetings:
Thursdays through November | 11:30AM - 1:00PM (October 22nd meeting will be held at 7PM instead!)
To listen to the meeting live, please call +1 929-229-5669 and enter Conference ID: 586 542 18# .
October 22, 2020 - Recording
October 15, 2020 - Recording | Minutes
October 8, 2020 Meeting - Recording | Minutes
October 1, 2020 Meeting - Recording | Minutes
Upcoming Virtual Community Feedback Sessions. Consistent with the City’s determination that there will no in-person meetings, we will hold two virtual community feedback sessions to garner feedback.
- Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 10AM
- Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 6PM
How to view:
How to provide comments and feedback during meeting:
- Call 301-600-1213
- Comments will be limited to five minutes and offered during the public comment agenda item (per usual meeting protocols).
- Callers will be placed in a queue upon calling.
Phase Two (October/November)
- External search committee and IACP conduct a preliminary review of applicants and determine the first round of interviewees
- External search committee and IACP complete the first round of interviews
- External search committee submits candidate recommendations to Mayor O’Connor
Phase Three (November/December)
- Mayor O’Connor and the internal selection committee will review the search committee’s recommendations, conduct final interviews, and select finalists
- Finalists will meet with community stakeholders (to be determined)
- Mayor O’Connor selects his final candidate for consideration and approval by the Board of Aldermen.
External Search Committee
- Teresa Bean, Education Representative, Chair
- Kavonte Duckett, Human Services Representative, Vice-Chair
- Derek Shackelford, Alderman
- Julia Schaeffer, Resident
- Kiesha Edmonds, Housing Services Representative
- Willie Ollie, Resident
- Danielle Doll, Business Community Representative
- Eliezer Valentin-Castanon, Religious Community Representative
- Nkem Wellington, Resident
- Sgt. Jonathan Shatlock, FPD Representative
- Chelsea Kadish, Legal Community Representative
- Karen Paulson, Staff Liaison
- Gayon Sampson, Staff Liaison