FREDERICK POLICE DEPARTMENT
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 25, 2018
Halloween Safety Tips and Advice
FREDERICK, MD –Halloween is an exciting time of year for kids and adults alike. Our primary concern on Halloween and any other time of year is the safety of children. With that in mind, the Frederick Police Department is offering the following safety tips for adults and children.
Always walk on sidewalks or paths—if there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible.
Avoid trick-or-treating alone. Walk in groups or with a trusted adult.
- Consider a curfew—if your child is trick-or-treating without you (with friends or a large group, for example), agree on a time when they should return home.
- If your child is trick-or-treating without you, plan and review an approved route with them and their friends before they leave.
- Instruct your child to travel only in neighborhoods they’re familiar with.
- Only approach homes with a porch light on—and stress to children that they should NEVER enter a stranger’s home or car for treats.
- Remind children of police and fire safety. Encourage them to carry a cell phone and call 911 immediately if they see or experience anything alarming.
- Stay alert and pay attention to your surroundings at all times.
- Cross the street at corners and crosswalks, and follow all traffic signals.
- Put the electronic devices down, keep your head up, and walk (don’t run) from house to house.
- Teach children to make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them.
Motorists & Adults
- Watch out for children – they will be everywhere and may not be mindful of crossing at crosswalks.
- Keep your radio off or turned down so you can hear.
- Don’t drink and drive, there are many options available (cab, Uber, SOS Safe Ride).
- Make sure your vehicles are locked and any valuables are removed.
Public Information Contact: Michele Bowman
301-600-2091 / 240-446-4912
Anonymous Tip: 301-600-TIPS (8477)
Anonymous Tip Text: 240-674-TIPS (8477)
Anonymous Tip Email: email@example.com