FREDERICK POLICE DEPARTMENT
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 21, 2017
HOLIDAY SAFETY TIPS AND ADVICE
FREDERICK, MD – The Frederick Police Department would like to remind everyone to be extra vigilant during this holiday season. We realize that the holiday season is often hectic and at times we become complacent. By using these tips you will minimize your risk of becoming a victim.
LOCK IT, HIDE IT, REMOVE IT
- Lock your vehicle, house, garage, shed all the time. It only takes a few seconds for someone to take your valuables.
- Hide any valuables that you have in your vehicle. Never leave items in plain view!
- Remove all valuables from the vehicle when possible – money, computers, GPS units, cell phones, purses, etc.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash, pay with credit cards and only carry what you need. Remove all non-essential items from purses and wallets.
- Park in a well-lit area and be sure to lock the car, close the windows, and hide shopping bags and gifts in the trunk.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages, make frequent trips to the car.
- Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings.
- If you are shopping with kids, teach them what to do if you become separated from them.
- If you see suspicious activity – report it.
- Make sure your PC has antivirus software and a firewall.
- Shop only from reputable sites.
- Make purchases with a credit card instead of a debit card.
- Monitor your credit and banking accounts regularly.
- Use strong passwords to secure your online accounts.
- Have mail order items shipped to a reliable address and track packages. Do not let packages sit on doorsteps!
IF YOU ARE TRAVELING
- Get an automatic timer for your lights.
- Let your neighbors know you are going out of town and ask them to look after your house.
- Stop your mail and newspaper delivery service.
The Frederick Police Department would like to wish you and your family a happy holiday season. As always, call us if you need us, we will be here!
Public Information Contact: Michele Bowman 301-600-2091 / 240-446-4912
Anonymous Tip: 301-600-TIPS (8477)
Anonymous Tip Text: 240-674-TIPS (8477)
Anonymous Tip Email: firstname.lastname@example.org