FREDERICK POLICE DEPARTMENT
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 8, 2016
FREDERICK POLICE REMIND RESIDENTS ABOUT PORCH PACKAGE THEFTS
FREDERICK, MD – During the holiday season, many people purchase gifts online and have them delivered to their homes. During this time of year we see an increase in porch package thefts. Package theft is a crime of opportunity and can be prevented. The Frederick Police Department would like to remind residents of the following tips to help in ensuring that their packages are delivered safe and sound.
1. Schedule your package delivery for a time that you are going to be home. If that is not convenient for you, then schedule them to be delivered to your work or to a friend who will be home to receive them.
2. Track your package so you know when it will be delivered. Sign up for delivery alerts so you know as soon as it is delivered. You can also make friends with your neighbor and ask them to grab it off of your front porch!
3. If you live in an apartment building, ask the apartment manager to take delivery of the packages until you can pick them up.
4. If you are an Amazon user, you can take advantage of Amazon Locker, where you can pick up your package from local pickup locations. There are a couple pick up locations in our area.
5. If something is stolen, file a police report IMMEDIATELY. Don't wait.
6. You can always require signatures on your package deliveries. Meaning, that the package you are having delivered has to be signed for by you in order for the delivery service to give it to you.
The Frederick Police Department also asks that if you see someone acting suspicious in your neighborhood that you contact us immediately - IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING.
Public Information Contact: Michele Bowman 301-600-2091 / 240-446-4912
Anonymous Tip: 301-600-TIPS (8477)
Anonymous Tip Text: 240-674-TIPS (8477)
Anonymous Tip Email: firstname.lastname@example.org