The Frederick Police Department would like residents to have a safe and happy Halloween.
Here are some helpful Halloween Safety Tips to help make that possible.
• Carry a flashlight with fresh batteries after dark.
• Always trick or treat in groups, accompanied by an adult.
• Follow a curfew and take a watch with a backlight.
• Plan your route ahead of time.
• Stay on the sidewalks and out of the streets. Cross only at intersections and
• Watch out for open flames in jack-o-Lanterns.
• Trick or treat in familiar neighborhoods and only visit well lit houses. Don't stop at dark
• Don't enter any houses unless you know the people.
• Don't approach unfamiliar pets and animals.
• Don't cut across yards and stay out of back yards.
• Follow traffic signals and don't jaywalk.
• Always watch for cars backing up or turning.
• Never accept rides from strangers.
• Don't eat any candy until it's inspected by your parents or guardian.
• Avoid candy that has loose wrappings, is unwrapped, has puncture holes, or is
• Report any suspicious or criminal activity to an adult or the police.
Halloween Costume Safety Tips
• Wear flame retardant costumes.
• Try on costumes before Halloween to allow time for altering, hem your costumes so
you don't trip and fall.
• Apply reflective tape to your Halloween costumes.
• Avoid cumbersome masks. Use make-up instead.
• Wear comfortable, practical shoes.
• Double tie your shoelaces so you don't trip.
• Keep your costume and wig away from candles.
• Don't carry fake swords, guns, knives or similar accessories that look authentic. Make
sure they're flexible and cannot harm anyone.
As a general reminder: If You See Something, Say Something!
Author: Michele Bowman, Community Outreach Specialist
301-600-2091 or firstname.lastname@example.org