Despite the forecast of heavy rains, Bike to Work Day will go on as scheduled today, in a slightly scaled back form. All participants are encouraged to exercise the utmost caution and independent judgment in deciding whether to participate.
CONTACT: Susan S. Harding, Public Information Officer, 301-600-1385
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Friday, May 16, 2014
Bike to Work Day Held as Planned
Frederick, MD -- Despite the forecast of heavy rains, Bike to Work Day will go on as scheduled today, in a slightly scaled back form. All participants are encouraged to exercise the utmost caution and independent judgment in deciding whether to participate. Due to the forecast, Mayor McClement and Mayor Newton of Rockville called off their challenge for the largest percentage increase in registration, delaying bragging rights to the winning city until next year’s event.
Please note that the Bike To Work Day festivities will be moved from the MARC Station (Transit Center) across the street to the All Saints Parking Deck.
For cyclists participating in Bike to Work Day events, The League of American Bicyclists offers the following tips for bicycling in the rain.
• Visibility can be limited, so wear bright clothing
• Wear waterproof clothing that is breathable with layers underneath
Protect your bike
• Front and rear fenders will keep you and your bike dry
• Lube your chain before and/or after a wet ride to replace the lube that washed off
• Drip chain lube down into your brake and shifter cables to avoid rust
• Make your turns slowly
• If you need to brake during a turn, apply the brakes slowly
• Water on the rims will make it harder to stop
• Apply the brakes lightly to clean off the rims before you need to stop
• Allow a greater distance for stopping
• Bridges, metal grates and painted lines and crosswalks can be very slick
• Avoid puddles as they may conceal deep potholes
• During the first few minutes of rain, oil seeps from the roadway making it very slick
The 2014 Bike To Work Day schedule of festivities:
6:30 AM - Ceremonial Ride (Gather at Hood College)
6:40 AM - A Blessing of the Bikes and Remembering Our Cycling Friends
6:45 AM - Depart Hood College for City Hall
7:05 AM - Depart City Hall for the MARC Station
7:20 AM - Arrive at MARC Station (** Festivities have been moved to the All Saints Street Parking Deck)– Master of Ceremonies John Fieseler, Executive Director of Tourism Council Of Frederick County, Inc.
7:20 AM – Fun, Food & Camaraderie