The City of Frederick Christmas Tree Drop Off and Recycling program will begin on Wednesday, December 26, 2012 and continue through Monday, January 31, 2013. The four drop off points will be:
CONTACT: Susan Harding, Public Information Officer, 301-600-1385
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Thursday, December 20, 2012
The City of Frederick Christmas Tree Drop Off Program
Frederick, MD -- The City of Frederick Christmas Tree Drop Off and Recycling program will begin on Wednesday, December 26, 2012 and continue through Monday, January 31, 2013. The four drop off points will be:
• Harry Grove Stadium in the Lower Lot
• Husky Park (Yard 2) - Highland Street
• Max Kehne Park - West 7th Street
• Taskers Chance Park - Key Parkway behind Westridge Shopping Center
Each park will have a designated drop off area designated by a sign. Please make sure trees are free of all ornaments, garland, tinsel, lights, and/or tree stands. Please remove any plastic bags from around the trees.
Please note that Christmas trees can be collected during the regular yard waste collection as long as they meet the criteria.
As part of The City of Frederick’s recycling efforts, Christmas trees are collected annually and ground into mulch. This effort has many beneficial results and also conserves space in the landfill.
Mulch is good for:
• Soil temperature moderation
• Moisture/water retention
• Reduction of competition (weeds)
• Recycling of nutrients through decomposition
• Conserves City funds through a reduction of purchased mulch
Questions can be directed to the Parks Department at 301.600.1173 or Department of Public Works at 301.600.1440. Please join The City of Frederick to conserve resources and help the environment!