Property Protection

Retrofitting is an affordable way to protect your building from flood damage. This involves modifications to the building such as elevating it so that floodwaters do not enter or reach damageable portions, constructing barriers between the building and floodwaters, and wet and dry flood proofing. Relocate contents in the building so that when floodwaters enter the building, there is little or no damage from sewer backup or sump pump failure.

Emergency measures include moving belongings upstairs and sandbagging. More information about floodproofing or retrofitting your home is available at the Frederick County C. Burr Artz Public Library or call the City of Frederick Engineering Department at 301-600-1498.

For many people, their home and its contents represent their greatest investment. Your homeowner's insurance policy will not cover losses due to flooding. The City of Frederick participates in the National Flood Insurance Program which makes flood insurance available for purchase to everyone. This is a government policy and the federal government writes the policy and sets the rates.

Flood Insurance

The City strongly urges you to buy flood insurance to protect yourself from devastating losses due to flooding. Flood insurance is available on buildings and personal property, and the contents of your home or business. The cost of the policy depends on your flood zone, elevation, and age of your home. Questions concerning flood zone locations should be directed to the Engineering Department at 301-600-1498.

A preferred risk policy is available to people in zone X, which is not in the flood zone. Renters living in a flood zone can also insure their possessions. More information about flood insurance can be obtained from your insurance agent. Just because your house has not flooded in the past does not mean that you are safe.

In order to obtain financing to buy, build, or improve property located in identified flood hazard areas, flood insurance is required by law. This law applies to any mortgage, loan, grant, or other funding directly financed by a Federal Agency. Lending institutions insured or regulated by a federal agency may make conventional loans at their own discretion in identified flood hazard areas.

Floodplain Determinations

Floodplain Determinations: The City of Frederick participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and has an archive of elevation certificates for recent buildings with in the floodplain. The Engineering Department makes floodplain determinations based on NFIP and other floodplain information before issuing permits. The Federal Emergency Management Agency granted a Letter of Map Revision for the Carroll Creek Flood Control Project (Case Number 02-03-117P) which removed many properties from the regulatory floodplain.

If you would like to make an inquiry, please contact us with the street address and, if available, the subdivision, lot and block number. We are open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Contact 301-600-1498 or you may visit Spires GIS and then click Floodplain under Available Layers on the Home Tab and type in the address of the property in question under the Tools tab.

Map Information Services Provided

  • To determine whether a property is in or out of the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) as shown on the current Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) of the City
  • Additional flood insurance data for a site, such as the FIRM zone and the base flood elevation or depth, if shown on the FIRM
  • Information on the flood insurance purchase requirement that can help people who need a mortgage or loan for a property in the SFHA
  • Copies of completed Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Elevation Certificates for recent construction of buildings built in the floodplain