The William R. Talley Recreation Center occupies a building that was originally build in 1913 for the Maryland National Guard. The building's distinct architecture borrows its themes from medieval fortifications and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Armory was originally built for Company A, First Regiment of the Maryland National Guard.
This unit traces their roots back to a band of Frederick rifleman led by Michael Cresap who fought in the Revolutionary War. In 2001 the old Armory building was converted into use as a community and meeting center for the City of Frederick Recreation Department.