Downtown Hotel & Conference Center
In 2009, a group of community partners identified the need for a full service hotel with conference center space in Downtown Frederick, Maryland. The group was comprised of business leaders, elected officials, and economic development partners. To explore the idea further, the Downtown Frederick Hotel Advisory Committee was formed.
To confirm the need for the facility, a feasibility study was conducted. The study and subsequent studies showed there was a demand for the project, that it would have a substantial economic impact on the area, and it would induce demand for additional room nights at other local hotels.
In February 2014, The City of Frederick issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) on behalf of the Downtown Frederick Hotel Advisory Committee to accept proposals for the development of a full-service hotel and conference center in historic Downtown Frederick.
Two qualified proposals were received by the deadline in May 2014. In addition to the written proposals, both developers presented their project concepts to the selection committee. The committee scored each proposal against the criteria established in the RFP.
Plamondon Hospitality Partners based in Frederick, MD was unanimously selected through the competitive RFP process to enter into a partnership agreement to build a full-service Downtown Marriott Hotel and Conference Center.
The Downtown Frederick Hotel and Conference Center (The Project) will be built along Carroll Creek Park, an award-winning urban park in the heart of Downtown Frederick. A full-service hotel with conference space has long been a part of the revitalization vision for Downtown Frederick.
- Comcast Newsmakers Interview with Richard Griffin: Downtown Hotel (2016)
- Press Conference held to share next steps for the project (Video April 2016)
- Bill Introduced to Support Downtown Hotel Project - Maryland Stadium Authority Bill - Hearing Scheduled for March 8, 2016 at 1:00 PM (HB1474 / SB1038)
- Maryland Municipal League Frederick County Chapter Issues Letter of Support for Downtown Hotel Project (2/25/2016, PDF)
- Economist Anirban Basu Makes the Case for Downtown Hotel Project to Frederick County Delegation in Annapolis - (2/29/2016, Sage Policy Group)
- Support Shown for Downtown Hotel at Fire & Ice (2/12/2016)
- Downtown Hotel & Conference Center Launches Website - The Downtown Hotel and Conference Center recently launched a website and Facebook page dedicated to sharing information and updates about the project. The website provides a project overview, information on the public-private-partnership, frequently asked questions, and updates. (2/2016)
- Frederick Receives Smart Growth Impact Fund Grant (1/19/2016 Media Release, PDF)
- The City of Frederick Approves Two Memorandums of Understanding (MOU) to Advance the Downtown Frederick Hotel and Conference Center Project (12/4/2015 Media Release, PDF)
- Two Proposals Received for the Downtown Hotel Project (5/9/2014 Media Release, PDF)
- City Receives Smart Growth Impact Fund Award for Downtown Hotel Project (4/29/2014 Media Release, PDF)
Documents & Presentations
- (Downtown Hotel at Carroll Creek Project Website)
- Project Overview One-Pager (Revised 9/9/2016, PDF)
- Joint City Aldermen / County Council Hotel Project Presentation (5/27/2015, PDF)
- 2007 Phase I Environmental Site Assessment
- 2008 Phase II Environmental SubSurface Investigation
- 2010 Pinnacle OPX Downtown Hotel Feasibility Study
- 2012 City County Delegation MOU
- 2012 MSA Crossroad Market Study Update
- 2013 Additional Environmental Subsurface Investigation
- 2014 City County Resolution of Support
- 2014 RFP 14-J Final
- 2015 City of Frederick, MD Parking and Circulator Study
- 2015 City Plamondon MOU
- 2016 MSA Forella Construction Cost Estimate with backup
- 2016 Proposed Draft Multi-Party MOU Redline